St. Martin's Catholic Women's League
St. Martin's CWL is part of the National Catholic Women's League of Canada.
In Saskatchewan, we have three Diocesan Councils - Regina, Saskatoon and Prince Albert, and one Provincial council.
Saskatchewan accounts for 6974 members in over 150 parishes which are part of the 83,000 members through out Canada.
St. Martin's Council currently has over 112 members!
- In 1975, we had 202 members.
- Mothers and Daughters make up the CWL. Our council has 4 mother - daughter pairs, 4 mother-in-law and daughter-in-law pairs, and 1 grandmother - grandaughter pair.
The Catholic Women's League of Canada was organized nationally on June 17, 1920 and granted federal incorporation on December 12, 1923. The League is officially recognized by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB) as a lay association of women and is affiliated with the World Union of Catholic Women's Organizations (WUCWO), a world-wide federation holding membership in the conference of International Catholic Organizations (ICO) and having consultative status withe agencies of the United Nations.
Some of our councils projects include:
Catholic Missions, Catholic Near East Welfare Association, Cody International Institute, Birthright, Camp Monahan, Meals on Wheels, Marian Centre, Santa Maria, Visitation House, Wascana Rehabilitation Centre, Souls Harbour Rescue Mission, Sofia House, Mater Care International, St. Matthew School Angel Fund, My Gen Rallies, Regina Early Learning Centre, Catholic Christian Outreach, and refugee projects.
In addition to this, we also raise funds to assist some of our projects by holding bridge tournaments, bake sales, and football pools.
In the church, we assist at parish functions and we are in charge of funeral luncheons.
St. Martin's CWL History and Past Annual Reports
Meetings and Events
- August 27 - CWL Executive Meeting
- September 3 - Potluck Dinner and Fall Retreat
- Guest Speaker: Tashia Toupin, Regina Archdiocesan Social Justice Co-Ordinator will speak on our National theme
- September 7 - Bridge Tournament
- We encourage new members to join at any time of the year! If you know someone, bring her to a circle meeting, a general meeting or an event, and let her know of the variety of things our league does. We don't just do bake sales, funerals and bridge tournaments!
- Membership cost: $35
- For more information talk to any member or contact CWL President Lianne via the Parish Office.
- This is a wonderful organization that all Catholic woman should be a part of.
- Catholic Women's League Leadership Foundation - To fund leadership education that inspires Catholic women to be transformational and influential leaders where they live and work. For more information, click here.
- www.findingthegifts.ca - Short videos sharing information about: suicide prevention, palliative care, people with disabilities and caring for the elderly.
10 Reasons To Become A Member
- The CWL deepens my faith life, enhancing my spiritual journey.
- The CWL is a supportive sisterhood that enjoys having fun.
- I get to know the women in my parish community and develop friendships.
- I am part of the largest National organization of Catholic women.
- I am part of the united voice for Catholic women when representatives meet with the Provincial and Federal governments.
- I receive The Canadian League magazine three times per year.
- The CWL is the heart of the parish and works on many projects in the parish and community.
- The CWL provides an opportunity for leadership development and education on issues of concern.
- The CWL is open to women of all ages and embraces many traditions.
- I can attend Diocesan, Provincial and National conventions.